Thursday, August 8, 2013

Excursions

I think my favorite site in Chiang Mai was Wat Srisuphan, the silver temple.  It was a really unique temple and often it feels like most of the Buddhist temples in Thailand look the same, but the silver temple was so beautiful.  Despite not being able to go inside due to being a girl, I loved the outside and the silver trees surrounding it.

We also visited the Golden Triangle, which was really awesome.  Even though I haven’t gone to Laos or Burma, I saw them and that’s more than I could say about being in America.  I’ve never seen Canada or Mexico, but I can say I’ve seen countries bordering Thailand.  It was really cool to see the different rivers merging into one.  One was redder in color than the other and you could clearly see the difference.
 We went a lot of places during our program.  We visited a lot of temples and a couple museums, which were pretty cool.  I liked learning about the history of Thailand and the northern region of the Lanna Kingdom before it merged with Siam to create Thailand.

For Thai Civilization we went on a few field trips, one including the visit to the silver temple and a Hindu temple as well.  We also visited a preschool in Mae Rim and got to see what their schools were like.

We also visited Doi Suthep, a mountain close to Chiang Mai.  We visited the temple and the royal winter palace.  We weren't allowed in the actual palace, but we visited the gardens, which were really beautiful.

I made a couple of personal trips - a group of us went to Doi Inthanon, which is the highest mountain in Thailand.  We saw a shrine to King Inthanon, two waterfalls, and beautiful plants.  It was amazing being up in the clouds.  We actually got went and it rained a lot - so we were soaked after a short period of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment